First of all, I’m so sorry it’s been so long! My life’s gotten pretty busy over the few weeks – the good kind of busy! As a general rule, no matter how busy I get, I try to eat well. I may not always have the time to devote to an elaborate meal, so I’ll turn to something quick, easy and always delicious! In this case, I’ve gone for a jerk chicken salad.
I know what you’re thinking and the answer is yes. Yes, it was every bit as good as it looks.
This jerk chicken salad is perfect for lunch. It’s filling but doesn’t leave you feeling too heavy. It’s also spicy yet refreshing. The fresh and tangy tomato and lime flavours complement the jerk spice perfectly. The spinach, avocado and asparagus act to balance the spice, giving the salad a well-rounded flavour.
- 1 Chicken Thigh
- 1 tbs Dunn's River Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Marinade
- 6 Asparagus
- 1½ cups of Spinach
- Handful of Baby Plum / Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Avocado
- Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
- ¼ wedge of Lime
- Black Pepper
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Rinse and dry the chicken thigh(s).
- Rub your marinade into the chicken until completely covered. (Feel free to add more than the a tablespoon for extra heat!) At this stage, you can either allow to marinate for two hours in the fridge in a resealable bag or cook straight away - depending on how much time you have.
- Put your chicken in the oven for approx. 20 minutes, checking and turning every ⅚ mins (allow more or less time depending on size of chicken, oven etc.)
- While your chicken is in the oven, prepare your salad base by rinsing and drying the spinach, tomatoes and asparagus. Slice your tomatoes and avocado into halves.
- Place your asparagus on a grilling rack or tray. Drizzle olive oil over along with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Grill on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- When your chicken and asparagus have cooked, serve with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle black pepper and salt over your avocado and drizzle olive oil and lime juice over your entire salad.
- Most importantly, enjoy! (NB if you're cooking for more people, scale up by multiplying the ingredients by the number of people you're cooking for.)
I love this salad because it shows that a quick, healthy, delicious lunch doesn’t have to be boring. This jerk chicken salad is perfect for summer and will go down a treat at your next barbecue! If you get a chance to try my jerk chicken salad, I’d love to hear/see how it turned out! You can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter, share your creation using the hashtag #chinnyskitchen.
Thanks for reading, love you like I love jerk! x