I’ve been looking for more ways to incorporate fruit and veg into my meals in order to get my five a day in. Sometimes just adding a side salad or a side of veg can be boring. So, I got to recipe testing and came up with the best, easiest, tastiest healthy side dish ever – sweet potato mash! If you didn’t know, sweet potato counts as one your five a day, which is great because it means you can eat as much of the mash as you like and not feel at all guilty! Woo!
One of my favourite food combinations is sweet and spicy, so I’ve incorporated this in the recipe by adding a little bit of maple syrup and cayenne pepper. The combination is to die for. I’ve also added some double cream for the traditional creamy texture of a mash. Butter and bacon make everything better so I’ve incorporated these into the recipe too! I find that these ingredients bring the out the natural flavour of the sweet potatoes without being overbearing, it gives the sweet potato an oh-so-delicious kick that keeps you coming back for more. Honestly, after each spoonful I did a celebratory dance – yes, that’s how good this mash is! It’s perfect for sprucing up your lunch or dinner and it’s so quick and easy to make! It’s the perfect side dish. It’s the Beyoncé of side dishes.
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (medium-sized)
- 3 Strips of Unsmoked Bacon
- ¼ Garlic Clove
- 1 tsp Butter
- 2 tsp Double Cream
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- Rinse and dry your sweet potatoes.
- Using a fork, pierce the skin of each potato 10 to 12 times - aim for equal distribution across the surface of the potato.
- Put your potatoes on a microwaveable dish, cover your potatoes with a square of kitchen roll and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then, turn your potatoes over and heat for another 3-4 mins.
- While my potatoes are in the microwave, I start on the bacon - cut up 3 strips of bacon into small strips or cubes and dice your garlic. Fry your bacon strips/cubes and garlic on medium-high heat until brown.
- While the bacon is cooking, your potatoes should be ready. You should find that your potatoes are soft and the skin is wrinkly. If not, not to worry, pop them back in the microwave for a few more mins.
- Once your potatoes are cooked, very carefully, using a sharp knife, slice the skin of the potato open and use a spoon or fork to scrape out all of the potato flesh from the skin and mash gently. Be very careful as the potato can get very hot! (You've been warned!)
- Once your bacon is ready and the potato flesh is out of its skin, melt a the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat and allow to heat for 2 mins.
- Add your potato, bacon-garlic to the saucepan along with a pinch of black pepper and salt. Stir until combined and then add your cream, cayenne pepper and maple syrup. Stir until combined and allow to heat for three mins.
If you're feeling fancy, garnish with bacon and a little bit of black pepper then serve and enjoy!
Thanks for reading, love you like you’re going to love this sweet potato mash! x