During the week, I hardly ever have the chance to have a good hearty breakfast, I’m either whizzing about my flat like the Mad Hatter or zombie-like desperately trying not to break. It’s such a shame too, because I really do love breakfast – the problem is sleep always wins…always. So when the weekend rolls around and I have enough time for sleep and food, I make it a duty to have a breakfast fit for a queen which always helps start my day off on a great note.
Today’s breakfast was inspired by my strange appetite. I woke up craving mango, avocado and an omelette so I thought I’d throw it all together and, despite my initial apprehension, it ended up being really really good! The omelette had me a little nervous at first. I wouldn’t usually put feta on my omelette, but I was out of cheddar and, to my surprise, the feta worked better! (See what I did there?? Yes, I was a rapper in a past life – 2Chinz.)
I was really pleased, like happy dance pleased! This dish not only tasted delicious, but looks great too! It had me feeling great all day! This recipe is a winner.
- 3 Medium Eggs
- Smoked Bacon
- Feta Cheese
- Baby Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon of Butter
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Mango
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Black Pepper
- Start by dicing the bacon - the amount of bacon and the size of your strips or cubes is entirely down to you - I've gone with two strips.
- Put your frying pan on the hob at medium heat, allow the pan to heat up for three to four minutes.
- Once hot, add a teaspoon of butter to the pan and allow to melt - this usually takes about two to three minutes.
- Once the butter has melted and hot, add your bacon strips or cubes to the pan and fry until golden brown. If you like your bacon to be crispy, you can fry for a little longer beyond this point.
- While the bacon is frying, turn on the grill to medium heat and prepare the other ingredients.
- Crack three medium eggs into a bowl along with a sprinkle of black pepper and Himalayan pink salt and whisk for about a minute until the yolk is completely mixed in with the egg whites.
- Rinse and dry a small handful of tomatoes and cut into vertical halves.
- Dice or crumble about 50g of feta cheese - the amount of cheese used is entirely optional.
- Set aside a handful of spinach.
- Once the bacon is golden brown, add the egg mixture to the pan and stir to incorporate the bacon in the eggs.
- Immediately add the spinach on top of the egg mix, followed by your tomatoes (flat face down) and feta - do not stir.
- Allow to cook for about five minutes and then transfer to the grill for a further ten minutes until the cheese begins to melt slightly and the egg is a golden brown colour. (NB - when you transfer to the grill the bottom half of the omelette will have cooked but the top part of the omelette won't be, it'll cook under the grill)
- I struggle to eat an omelette without anything on the side, enter the avocado and mango.
- For the avocado, I simply cut it into halves and sprinkled some Himalayan pink salt and black pepper over it for flavour. For the mango, cut into desired.
- Most importantly - serve and enjoy!
Thanks for reading, love you like I love apple pie! x